Pages

Sunday 16 September 2012

Biking and a lesson in playing pool

As I sit here ready to do the blog entry I was instructed to do, with Paul looking right over my shoulder making sure I just get on with it, I'm contemplating what I might share with you today...

The day started rather down for me as it is the anniversary of my dad's death.  He committed suicide in 1985 and I still remember that night when my mum came home quite late.  I remember her sitting on the bed telling us that there was an accident.  It was about a week before my 9th birthday.  Okay, 5 days to be exact with my birthday this coming Friday.  My dad and I weren't all that close I don't think (or at least I don't remember much) and I don't have all that many memories of him (I do remember us going fishing once), but I do feel sad that he chose to do what he did and he will never get to be a grandfather to my kids.

Gerhard Opperman - my dad
So for a large part of the day I felt fairly quiet.  I watched a bit of Flight of the Conchords while Paul was desperately trying to fix some bike wheel punctures.  Rather frustrating for him as it didn't work so well for most of the time he spent slaving away at it.





Almost ready to just give up, he finally managed to get one tube fixed and we were ready to go for a bike ride.  To be honest I wasn't really in the right frame of mind, but went out anyway.  Wasn't an easy ride as we had some rain for part of our journey (and that is never a good thing with wearing glasses as I could hardly see where I was going).  We did a hilly ride and of course Paul would sprint away while I could barely get to the top of some of these hills and then he'd turn around to race back to me asking me how I was going.  He must have thought I was rather grumpy as I wasn't all that good with a conversation and could barely get the words "fine" out between my heavy breathing.


Halfway through our bike ride we stopped off at the Waikanae Pub where Paul tried his best to teach me some pool.  I think he was determined not to be beaten by a girl, but he didn't have to worry because I wasn't much competition for him.  Was great fun anyway and I think future strategies of mine should be just to try and get my balls as close as possible to his to make it as hard as possible for him instead of aiming for the pockets ;-).


Very determined not to be beaten by a girl
Ready to put on quite the fight...
 It was getting dark by the time we left and I felt pleased when Paul indicated we were going about 36 km / hour (I think that is about 22 miles per hour, but don't take my word for it as I'm rather useless with math).

I did manage to beat Paul on the last stretch home which I felt really proud about considering he is such a great cyclist.  Okay, it helped that he didn't realise it was a race at the time.  Somehow I don't think I'll have it as easy next time...

It was good to get out for the bike ride even though I didn't find it particularly easy today (well actually I have yet to find it easy), but it is a great feeling knowing we went out and I managed.

How was your weekend, what did you get up to?

3 comments:

  1. I felt exhausted reading about your day but I admit you were wise to get out and do something. It is sad about your dad, an awful loss for you as a young child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel such sadness thinking of you as a child and losing your Dad at such a young age. My husband's father died when he was only 3 years old (of cancer) and it has always affected him deeply. He is very close to his Step-Dad, who his mother married when he was 13. Our son has his Grandfather's haircolor and it is even curly like his.
    Glad you could go biking and playing pool. Not to mention watching The Flight of the Conchords, they are so funny, they crack me up!
    Take care.
    Love,
    KAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day sounds like it ended up being not too bad. So sorry about your dad - it has obviously left it's mark on you. Good for you for going out to take your mind of your troubles.
    Nice to hear from you again - take care :))

    ReplyDelete